As we grow to adulthood, we humans learn to override many of our natural tendencies. We “socialize” our children, and teach them to “behave” and resist many of their natural impulses. By the time we’re adults most of us are so disconnected from nature, and from our own nature, that we accept “adult” roles and responsibilities that pay the bills but stifle us, rub us the wrong way and even cause harm to each other and our environment.
Somewhere along the line, we lose touch with the simple wisdom of our natural instincts.
Needless to say, there are many spiritual lessons we can learn from observing nature. Just under the surface, our animal instincts are still there, just waiting to be tapped into, and reactivated, and honored — and what better role models than the animals we love and share our lives and homes with?
Here are 10 life lessons you can learn from your cat:
1. Keep a curious spirit and approach uncertainty with a positive attitude.
2. Physical touch is natural, and vital for our well-being.
3. Get plenty of rest, and spend time soaking up the sun.
4. Show gratitude. All it takes is a purr, or a squinty smile.
5. Stretch regularly. It’s good for body and soul.
6. Live in the moment. There is only now.
7. Play. Play. Play. Play. Play!
8. A happy life is a simple life. All we really need is love, a full belly, and a quiet place to rest.
9. Let the inner wisdom of instinct and intuition guide you. If it doesn’t feel good, walk away.
10. Be fearless. Live like you’re on your ninth life.
~Dedicated to Gracie the cat, whose simple, loving approach to life inspired this article.
Artwork by Ascension Avatar
You must be logged in to post a comment.